Guest Post: 10 Spanish & Portuguese Rosé Wines for Summer
This Guest post was written by Grace Sasha Elizabeth of classicspirits.co.uk exclusively for Social Vignerons.
A rosé, also known as Rosado in Portuguese- and Spanish-speaking countries is a pink wine that infuses its characteristic color from the grape skins. It is sometimes considered the oldest type of wine produced with the skin-contact method.
Generally, black-skinned grapes are crushed gently, and their skins are allowed to remain in contact with the juice for a limited period of time, typically one to three days to allow oxtracting the desired amount of color. The formed pink “must” is then pressed, and the skins are discarded through the fermentation process. The pink juice is fermented separately to produce the rosé wine.
Rosés are made all around the world from a variety of red grapes. In Spain, they are most often made from Grenache (Garnacha), Mouvedre (Monastrell) or Tempranillo, often blended together. Rosé wine comes in different styles, more or less colored or sweet. Spanish rosés are generally bright is color and rather dry in style. They are all refreshing to help beat the summer heat.
Here is a list of our favorite Spanish rosé wines to drink this summer:
- This is a lively and refreshing wine with an appealing bright red-colored appearance.
- It is made from the finest quality grapes, displaying refreshing aromas of red color fruits and delicate floral nuances.
- The palate is well-balanced and elegant, with fruity signs and sweet taste.
- It can be best enjoyed with meat, grilled vegetables, and soft cheese cuisines.
- Gran Feudo Rosado, Navarra, Spain
- The Gran Feudo Rosado is an excellent quality Crianza rosé wine made from a combination of superior quality Garnacha Tinta, Tempranillo, and Merlot grapes.
- This wine is aged for about six months on the lees in oak barrels before being bottled.
- It has a bright strawberry pink colored body and has prominent fruit aromas of strawberry and currants combined with notes of sweet spices.
- It can be best enjoyed with grilled vegetables, rice dishes, complex salads and pasta.
- The Muga Rosado is an elegant and flavorful rosé wine made from finest quality Garnacha, Viura and Tempranillo grapes.
- It has a pale salmon pink colored texture and the nose is marked by refreshing and vibrant fruit aromas of cherries, green apples and peaches combined with light citrus notes.
- The palate is soft and vibrant, with a well-balanced acidic taste and a flavorful finish that makes it a perfect accompaniment to semi-mature cheese and roasted red meat.
- Vinya del Mar Rosado, Catalunya, Spain
- The Vinya del Mar Rosado is an elegant rosé wine with an appreciable pink body and violet hues.
- It is made from the best quality Carinena and Tempranillo grapes; the pink color is carefully extracted from the skin of the grapes.
- It has cool and refreshing aromas of exotic fruits. The palate is smooth and elegant, with powerful acidity and a lingering finish.
- This rosé wine can be best enjoyed with white meat and rice dishes.
- The Mateus Rosé is a fresh young rosé wine from the Mateus range, made from the top quality grapes such as Rufete, Tinta Barroca, Baga and Touriga Franca that are harvested and fermented following traditional methods to develop the rich color and exquisite flavors.
- It had a bright red colored body and marked by refreshing fruit aromas of pears, apples and raspberries combined with subtle floral notes.
- The palate is well-balanced and has a persistent finish that can be enjoyed with white meat, pasta, and salads.
- Las Campanas Rosado, Navarra, Spain
- The Las Campanas Rosado is a fantastic young rosé wine made from the finest selection of 100% Garnacha grapes.
- It has a bright pink colored body with attractive bluish highlights and is marked by refreshing and intense ripe red fruit aromas with a delicate floral infusion.
- The palate is full-bodied with pleasant fruity aromas and a persistent finish that tastes best with white meat, pasta, fish and seafood dishes.
- Marqués de Riscal Rosado, Rioja, Spain
- The Marqués de Riscal Rosado is an elegant rosé wine that is made from the finest selection of Tempranillo and Garnacha grapes.
- It has an intense raspberry red colored texture, and the nose is marked by prominent fruit aromas of raspberries.
- The palate is fresh with a mild acidic taste that makes it a great accompaniment for seafood, pasta, and grilled fish.
- The Enate Rosado 2011 is a delicious and flavorful young rosé wine. It is made from the finest quality Cabernet Sauvignon grapes to obtain the rich color and exquisite flavors.
- It has a bright raspberry colored body and is marked by fresh and lively red fruit aromas combined with subtle spice notes.
- The palate is tasty, with sweet fruity aromas that taste best with salads, pasta, and white meat.
- Marques de Caceres Rosado, Rioja, Spain
- The Marques de Riscal Rosado is a soft and delicious rosé wine made from the finest selection of Tempranillo and Garnacha grapes.
- It has an intense raspberry red colored body and the nose is marked by intense fruit aromas of strawberries and raspberries combined with pretty floral notes.
- The palate is well-balanced with a semi acidic taste and a lingering touch that makes it a perfect accompaniment to rice dishes, seafood, and grilled fish.
- El Coto Rosado, Rioja, Spain
- The El Coto Rioja Rosado is a fantastic dry rosé wine made from the finest selection of Tempranillo and Garnacha grapes that are handpicked.
- It has an appealing pale pink colored texture, and the nose is marked by intense and refreshing red fruity aromas.
- The palate is smooth, with a subtle acidic taste and a persistent fruity finish that makes it a perfect accompaniment to Mediterranean cuisines and semi-mature cheese.
Drink a glass of rosé wine, perfect refreshment for summer and ensure that you have got a chilled bottle ready for the warm weather.
About the Author: Grace Sasha Elizabeth is a professional content writer for Classic Spirits Blog. She is very passionate about writing articles related to different sparkling wine collections, spirits, beers, champagne and refreshment drinks. She has been inspired by the most prolific wine authors and have a desire to become fastidious researcher with an excellent talent for divining future situations.