How Good is Vidal-Fleury Côtes du Rhône White?
Wine Review of 2017 Maison Vidal-Fleury Côtes du Rhône Blanc, France
This French Côtes du Rhône white wine by famous house Vidal-Fleury is a blend dominated by a 88% Viognier with a 12% Grenache Blanc 12%, and the remaining 10% made up with other local grape varieties.
Grapes were harvested both by hand and using machine around the end of August 2017. After a skin contact for about 30% of the grapes to extract more aromas and body, and direct pressing for the other 70% the wine was fermentation in stainless steel tanks with selected yeast at a controlled temperature at 18°C (a moderately low 64°F).
No malolactic fermentation. Ageing on lees was run with regular bâtonnage (lees stirring but no contact with oak barrels) for about 6 months. The wine was filtered once but not filtered before bottling.
Overall Tasting Notes & Impressions
With a bright and just a tiny but pale a lemon-yellow color featuring hints of orange hues, this Rhone white shines with floral and warming fruity aromas.
Acidic apricot, lily, elderflower and fresh white peach dominate the aromatic profile. Hints of savory yeasty notes are to be smelt as well, suggesting an ageing on lees, adding depth and some pleasant smokiness in a world of bright and ripe fruit.
This is a dry white wine, with good enough an acidity to feel to make the fruity summery fruit flavors feel refreshing. But this is also a textural wine with somewhat of an oily body coating your palate and subtle silky phenolics adding granulosity and a savory slightly bitter taste to the finish.
A generous and comforting white, featuring crisp and clean fruity and floral characters, and adding spiciness, smokiness, and depth of leesy flavors to a warming and ripe fruity balance.