2015 Familia Schroeder Saurus Select Pinot Noir, Patagonia, Argentina
Patagonia, the southernmost wine region in Argentina, because it has a cooler climate than most other areas in the country, is increasingly renowned for its Pinot Noir wines.
Familia Schroeder’s estate is located in San Patricio del Chañar Valley at 39º South Latitude, 53 km. far from Neuquen City, in plains of northern Patagonia Argentina. The climate in this extreme terroir is characterized by frequent winds, high day-night temperature variations and long summer days.
Learn more about this wine’s origin at Patagonia wine region, Argentina
The Saurus and Saurus Select range of wines were named as a tribute to the recent discovery of fossils from a new species of dinosaurs in Patagonia. The Titanosaurus, an enormous 80-ton dinosaur that weighed about 80 tons, the equivalent of 14 grown elephants, dwarfed even the Argentinosaurus, the previous largest known species of Dinosaur on Earth.
The Pinot Noir grapes for this Saurus Select were hand-picked and the grapes selected through a vibrating sorting table. 40% of the wine was aged for 12 months in oak barrels, while the remaining 60% staid in stainless steel tanks to keep the entire freshness of the fruit.
Alcohol: 14.2% Vol
Total acidity: 5.20 g / l
PH: 3.60 Residual
Residual Sugar: 3.92 g / l
Annual Production: 10,000 cases x 12 bottles
This Patagonia Pinot comes in a pretty dark color for a Pinot, dark red to the core, bright with both slight orange and purple hues to the rim. Looking quite intense and concentrated.
The nose is quite intense too, and primarily fruity, with underlying notes of spices and vinosity. Ripe and warm red berries aroma dominate the profile. It smells like fresh berries and fresh berry jam at the same time, making the nose both lively and deep.
White pepper, almost peppermint-like, with some leafy tones give it character. While vanilla adds sweetness, but vinosity (the typical smell of wine) provides a savory feel.
The palate is round and soft, with loose granulous tannins living in an oily body, for an a round and velvety overall sensation. Bursting fresh blackberry flavors are lifted up by a wealthy of spicy pepper and warming alcohol.
Long and layered finish of salivating oaky notes of vanilla, sweet spices reminiscent of a Christmas pudding, and raspberry jam.
An upfront Pinot Noir filled with concentrated flavors, ripe red berry fruit and a wealth of leafy and minty spiciness. Round and powerful, it still fills fresh and zesty helped by a vibrant good acidity. Long and quite complex, it is certainly layered and will offer plenty of aromatic variety to the careful taster.
Drink now and within 5 years to enjoy its fruity liveliness.
My Spiegelau Wine Glassware
Check it out on Amazon